Grilled Chicken Sandwichs:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 hoagie rolls
- 1/2 cup white onions, diced
- Shredded cheese
Combine olive oil, garlic, basil, oregano, lemon zest, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Transfer 2 tablespoons of the oil mixture to a separate bowl and whisk in the mayonnaise, vinegar and lemon juice. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Prick chicken breasts all over with fork. Cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes and transfer to large bowl with the oil mixture. Refrigerate, covered for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
Remove chicken from the marinade and thread chucks onto metal skewers.
Place skewers on hot grill and cook, turning frequently, until lightly charred and cooked through.
Transfer the chicken to the rolls, sprinkle the onion and shredded cheese on top of the chicken and then drizzle with the mayonnaise mixture.
Adapted from recipezaar.