As I read through this recipe and read over the ingredients for the vinaigrette I sure screwed my face up at Anchovy Paste. I thought what the hell! That is going to taste horrible and give the pasta a fishy flavour. But, I figured I would give it a go anyways and see what it was like. I promise you that you can not taste a thing! If anything I think it just gives the vinaigrette a salty flavour. But, if you really can’t get past the whole Anchovy thing then just leave it out. The dish will taste just as amazing.
Antipasto Pasta Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette:
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the Salad:
- 8oz tri-colour rotini pasta noodles
- 1 cucumber, sliced in quarters
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup smoked mozzarella, diced
- 1 cup Italian salami, diced
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup kalmata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers, sliced
- 1/2 cup marinated artichoke hearts, quartered
- 2 tablespoons capers
Cook pasta according to directions on back of box. Drain and set aside.
Puree capers, anchovy paste, garlic, vinegar and oregano. Slowly drizzle in oil and blend until emulsified. So I used 4 tablespoons of regular olive oil and 2 tablespoons of my favourite Basil Olive Oil from O&CO.
Mix together the cooked pasta, cucumbers, tomatoes, mozzarella, salami, onion, olives, pepperoncini, roasted bell peppers, artichoke hearts and capers in a large bowl. Toss with the vinaigrette to coat.
Best to refrigerate overnight to allow the flavours to intensify.
Adapted from Noble Pig.